Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: please help, BCP+Pot= Still fertile?

DesperatetoConceive21 - Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:49 pm

My husband and I decided to begin trying to conceive in March. I got off of BCP (ORTHO NOVUM 777) in March 05,I had been of birth control for about 5 1/2 years with the exception of a 2-4 months. I know that it usually takes about 3 months for ovulation to regulate, however I have yet to get pregnant. I am concerned that my husbands sperm may not be as "potent" as they should be. He smoked marijuana daily while he was in high school/Junior High. He hasnt smoked in about 3 yrs. Could this still be a problem? I also occasionally have hot flashes, which is concerning. My paps and iternals have always been normal. Please is there anything I can do, my husband and I desperatly want a child.

PleaseHelp, We are desperate to have a baby...
Thanks,
DTC21 :wink:
 Shelly S, RN - Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:18 pm

The most important thing to remember is even totally healthy couples can take up to one year to conceive a child. The timing in conception must be perfect. Let me give you some insight and ideas.

On the pot smoking: Yes, marijuana HAS been linked to lower sperm counts. Keep in mind that this does not mean every man who smokes pot is not capable of conception. I really do not think his teenage past is to blame. After all, it has been over 3 yrs since he has done it.

Secondly, have you considered trying ovualtion sticks? They are a wonderful tool in catching the perfect timing like I mentioned above. If you don't know what they are, I will briefly explain: The sticks are to be peed on, and they help to give you a heads up as to when ovulation is coming. These sticks can dramatically increase odds.

I know no couple wants to wait a full year to have a baby, but keep in mind that you are probably a normal, capable, couple. It is just gonna take some time.

Hope that helps -

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us