Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: please help, BCP+Pot= Still fertile?

DesperatetoConceive21 - Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:49 pm

My husband and I decided to begin trying to conceive in March. I got off of BCP (ORTHO NOVUM 777) in March 05,I had been of birth control for about 5 1/2 years with the exception of a 2-4 months. I know that it usually takes about 3 months for ovulation to regulate, however I have yet to get pregnant. I am concerned that my husbands sperm may not be as "potent" as they should be. He smoked marijuana daily while he was in high school/Junior High. He hasnt smoked in about 3 yrs. Could this still be a problem? I also occasionally have hot flashes, which is concerning. My paps and iternals have always been normal. Please is there anything I can do, my husband and I desperatly want a child.

PleaseHelp, We are desperate to have a baby...
Thanks,
DTC21 :wink:
 Shelly S, RN - Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:18 pm

The most important thing to remember is even totally healthy couples can take up to one year to conceive a child. The timing in conception must be perfect. Let me give you some insight and ideas.

On the pot smoking: Yes, marijuana HAS been linked to lower sperm counts. Keep in mind that this does not mean every man who smokes pot is not capable of conception. I really do not think his teenage past is to blame. After all, it has been over 3 yrs since he has done it.

Secondly, have you considered trying ovualtion sticks? They are a wonderful tool in catching the perfect timing like I mentioned above. If you don't know what they are, I will briefly explain: The sticks are to be peed on, and they help to give you a heads up as to when ovulation is coming. These sticks can dramatically increase odds.

I know no couple wants to wait a full year to have a baby, but keep in mind that you are probably a normal, capable, couple. It is just gonna take some time.

Hope that helps -

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us