Forum Name: Fertility

Question: prolonged postpartum period

taranga - Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:52 pm

I'm starting to worry about my prolonged bleeding - my second period after having my son. I have been bleeding for 20 days now with the first few days being heavy and having a steady light flow since. My first period resumed 4 months postpartum and was light and only lasted 5 days, approx 4 weeks later I started my second period. With it I resumed my birth control. I am taking the same b.c. as before I became pregnant and it had always shortened and regulated my periods. Is prolonged bleeding normal with postpartum periods because of the hormonal changes? My cycle was 24 days before, so is it possible that I will continue bleeding into my next period with no break? If this is common, how long can I expect these lengthened periods to last? And lastly, should I be taking any supliments such as iron because of the excess blood loss? Btw, I am still breastfeeding approx. 7 times per 24 hours.
 Shelly S, RN - Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:12 pm

Taranga:

Many women report changes in their cycles after having a child. Typically, the biggest changes are the first months after the baby is born. It is very important to be seen, or call your doctor. Also, start using pads, rather than tampons. You want to be able to tell the office how much bleeding is occuring. For example, you should not be soaking a pad within an hour or less. As far as supplements, yes, you need to take a prenatal. Most doctors want you to continue a prenatal vitamin until 6 weeks PP, or keep it up longer if breastfeeding. If you have been bleeding 20 days now, that is cause for concern. Please track your pads, and call the doctor.