Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Infertility and tonsilitis

enb02134 - Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 pm

I'm 37 years old and am in the early stages of IVF. My FSH level is currently at 11.7 (it was at 10 nine months ago).

For years I've had problems with "white gunk" in the back of my throat and at my last dentist appointment, I was told I should probably see a doctor because it looked my tonsils looked really inflamed. I went to an ENT who said that I have Tonsil Stones and that they are causing me to get chronic low-grade infections which is why my tonsils get inflamed. I also get Strep throat at least every other year. The ENT said that sometimes these types of low-grade infections can inhibit your ability to get pregnant and that it might benefit me to have my tonsils out before IVF.

I haven't started the shots yet for IVF so it is early enough to stop the process. Should I get my tonsils out now and then postpone the IVF for a month? Or, because of the rising FSH level, should I go ahead with IVF and get my tonsils out at some later date (there is no immediate danger with the tonsils).

I appreciate the help!
 Shelly S, RN - Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:00 pm

I will be honest, I have never known tonsillitis to be related to infertility. I am not questioning the ENT's professional opinion, as I am sure he is knowledgable in this area.

I think that getting them removed first as he suggested may be best. Considering how complex, and not to mention costly, IVF can be, it is better to increase the odds. Of course I don't think waiting on the surgery is going to directly affect IVF since fertilization is not dependent on the physiological processes of the body.

Here is a big thing to consider. Let's say you DO put off the surgery, then have the IVF first and achieve pregnancy. I think it would be best to not have to deal with a surgery while pregnant if at all possible.

Let me know what you decide, and best of luck with your IVF. :D