Question: Male Masterbation

yirules99 - Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:13 pm

I am a sixteen years old male and I have been masterbation almost daily since I was thirteen. How can I overcome masterbation. Is this an addiction if yes how can I stop. What can I do to stop masterbation.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:42 am

User avatar Hi!

Masturbation does come under the broad disorder of paraphilia not otherwise specified. If intense recurrent sexual urges involving specific acts happen for longer than 6 months, the term paraphilia is used. There are different kinds of paraphilias, and masturbation is one of them.

Masturbation is sexual self-gratification. It is not done by just some, but by most in one or other occasions in a lifetime. Only when it is done to such an extent, so as to affect one's normal life activities, or bring harm to self or others, would it be a 'disease.' Masturbation as a paraphilia usually occurs between the ages 15 and 25.

One way of helping oneself out of the clutches of masturbation is to avoid situations that generate initial desires, like pornography. Many believe that paraphilias develop in patients who lack the ability to develop relationships. Working on issues such as developing intimacy, carrying on conversations with others, etc., provide channels. But by the time one is of age, marriage would seem best to reflect on a relationship developed, sexual gratification being one of the functions of marriage. Until such times, discussing with peers and friends regarding the issue, and finding out if others are in the same boat as you are, would ease your situation to feel less guilty about the whole thing.

If everything fails, psychotherapy by a psychiatrist would help paraphilia.

Warm regards,

Bill