Forum Name: Fertility

Question: implantation bleeding?/ possibly pregnant?

SallyJ - Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:07 am

This morning I woke up to a small quantity of blood in my underwear. This shocked me, for this is only day 23 of my normally 32 day cycle. I then thought that it could be "implatation bleeding" and became terribly frightened. I did have sex three times since my last period-- all during which condoms were used. My last period was from September 9th to 11th, and the intercourse occured once on the 17th and twice on the 25th. What are the chances of this being implantation bleeding/ a sign of pregnancy? Please keep in mind that I've been under a terrible amount of stress as of late... for school just started in September and I've been depressed and nervous from stress this entire past week due to what I consider to have been a possible emotional breakdown. I've also started excercising regularly again in about the past ten days.

If I am pregnant, what should I do? Are there any medications I could take to stop the pregnancy?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:44 pm

User avatar It is possible you could be pregnant, however, I would attribute this spotting due to the stress you are under right now. Stress can cause changes to your cycle. Take a home pregnancy test to ease your mind.

As for a drug to stop the pregnancy, the "morning after pill" must be taken within 72 hours of intercourse to prevent implantation.
At this stage, you would need a medical abortion. Meaning, you would need to find an abortion clinic to give you some medicine to take to pass the embryo. You would get a dose in the ofice, and another dose to take at home, and you would have what would seem like a period.
 Shelly S, RN - Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:53 pm

Hi there. Implantation bleeding typically occurs 5 to 10 days after conception occurs. In order to determine whether you had intercourse within your conception "window", depends on your cycle length and regularity.

Also, keep in mind, implantation bleeding tends not to occur in most women. There are some that do in fact experience this bleeding, but this is not a typical "tell tale sign" of pregnancy whatsoever.

As Gracie said, it could very well be related to the stress you are experiencing. If you think you are pregnant, and this is an unwanted pregnancy, you need to test immediately so you can plan ahead.
 SallyJ - Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:25 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Since I last posted, I've continued menstruating and I believe it is a regular cycle, though it may be a little lighter. I'm not sure what this means.

Also, I'd like to take a pregancy test, but they're advertised as inaccurate until the first day of your missed cycle... and that requires that I wait for about five days. Are there any tests that do not require this?
 SallyJ - Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:26 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Since I last posted, I've continued menstruating and I believe it is a regular cycle, though it may be lighter. I'm not sure what this means, for it is about a week early.

Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:03 pm

User avatar It is completly normal for a period to be lighter or heavier sometimes.
As for the pregnancy test, I believe first response lets you test up to 5 days before your missed period.
 SallyJ - Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:48 pm

I have taken two pregnancy tests, both negative. However, I have had a cold and thus have not been running-- resulting in my concern that I am getting cubbier around the wasteline. I know that it doesn't appear that way... but I feel as though my stomach is "growing." Would you say that my period just came early and I might be feeling this way because of my present stage in the cycle rather than pregnancy?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:04 pm

User avatar If you have taken 2 pregnancy tests, and both are negative, AND you have had your period, you are not pregnant. If you want a definate confirmation to ease your fears, go to a clinic for a blood test.
It is normal for periods to come a little eariler, or later, or be lighter, or heavier at times. Try not to worry.
 safi01 - Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:48 pm

Hello there, i would be ever so grateful if somone could take the time to answer my question. I was diagnosed with PCOS and but on to a treatment of clomid, in which i'm nearing the end of my first cycle, and something rather stranged has happened. i,m due on at the weekend on on the friday night just after my husband and i had finished making love i noticed there was a small amount of blood there, having presumed that i was not pregnant and that i had statred my period. the next morning where i would expect to be in pain and find a massacre there was nothin... at all! i waited but still nothing throughout the day, i did a pregnancy test which came out negative at the time but im beggining to wonder now. could somone shed some light on the matter for me please. thanks
 PeAnUtX - Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:04 pm

Ok, Im not exactly sure what is going on, but I had my period for about 3 days (Dec. 5th to 8th) It was heavy or anything. But now, it is Dec. 29th, and I am having some sort of spotting or something. Its not a full on bleeding, but it is there. What can be the cause of this and could I be pregnant? Ive looked around but I havent found anything to tell me what might be going on....

Thank you.
 PeAnUtX - Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:10 pm

Im sorry. I meant to say "It [b]wasnt [/b]heavy..." not was....