Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Testicular Growth

 Ablabson - Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:07 pm

Hi, I'm 20 years old and recently a lump formed on my left testicle. I first noticed it in October and have had it examined by three different doctors, none of which were able to feel it during examination. It is about the size of a pea, and is located on the bottom of the testicle. It is definetly something new, and has never been there before. The reason I haven't just accepted the doctors' diagnoses is because, none of them were even able to find it. But the reason they couldnt feel it was because, basically doctors offices are usually cold and, my scrotum ends up shrinking in the cold (obviously) and when that happens, the position my testicle in changes, and it makes the doctors attempt at finding the lump far more difficult. It is definetly not part of the epididymis since i can feel the entire area around the lump which is the regular smooth feeling of the testicle. It is not attached to anything. It doesn't really hurt at all but, every so often i feel a pain that sort of shoots up from the area into my stomach.
I heard that there is some way that if I exposed my testicles to a flashlight, that somehow the light can help show me whether somethings wrong or not. May sound far-fetched but, I don't know. Thats why I am posting this!! I need some help! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:19 am

User avatar Dear Ablabson,

Light is sometimes used in a trial to differentiate between causes of a big scrotum and whether it is enlarged testicles or fluid around the testicles.

It looks that you are absolutely sure that this is a new growth. i suggest that you ask your doctor to send you for an ultrasound of the testicles to see what is the nature of this growth.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Ablabson - Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:36 am

Thank you for your reply. Couple more questions though, what exactly would the ultrasound show? Meaning, it would show whether its ___ or ___? Also, since I assume the ultrasound is done directly on the skin, would they have to shave my scrotum to do this?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:44 pm

User avatar Dear Ablabson,

The ultrasound will show the texture of the testicle and whether there are any abnormal structures: cysts, tumours, enlarged testicle, etc...

You don't have to shave your scrotum for the ultrasound.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us