Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Blood in the semen

 Jason615 - Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:59 am

Visible blood is in the semen when ejaculation occurs in close intervals of a day or two. If I wait longer than a week, theirs no visible blood. This started over a year ago. One incident that might be directly associated is an event while working out at the gym. I was running on my 5th mile on the tread mill when I felt this urgent feeling to pea. While urinating I felt a lot of pain and a little blood. I was scared but did not see a doctor. The incident has not occurred since. I thought it was a kidney stone. Could this have caused urethral stricture and be the cause of my blood in semen? I know I should see a doctor and have test done, but from what I’ve read, not much hope of finding the cause of the problem and I am strapped for cash.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:16 am

User avatar Hi!

Blood in the semen is called hematospermia. As you rightly pointed out, for most patients with this symptom, no further diagnostic workup is needed. But for some it might be the first indicator of a urological disorder, probably of the prostate glands or urethra or seminal vesicle. Infections, trauma, and other systemic illnesses like hypertension, liver diseases, bleeding disorders may also contribute.

While often perceived as a symptom of little significance, blood in the ejaculate can cause great concern to the men who experience it. One should consult a doctor if:

1. Age is more than 40.
2. Recurrent hematospermia in more than 10 ejaculations.
3. Hematospermia for more than 2 months.
4. Presence of blood in the urine associated with hematospermia.

Considering your age, and the duration and recurrence rate of your symptom, and the fact that you do not have blood in the urine presently, I would safely remain in your situation. But if one were to be 100% sure of good health, it would be prudent to have a visit to your doctor and have the workup.

Once again reiterating that there is no cause for alarm here,

I remain.

With warm regards,


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us