Forum Name: Fertility

Question: irregular long cycle

scarlet13 - Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:01 pm

I'm irregular, but my last cycle was too long (45 days) never like that, then we started trying, now 46 days later I haven't had my period but the urine test is negative... could it be possible that I'm pregnant? what causes longer periods? should I be worried about having some kind of illness? like cysts? hope someone can help... thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:53 pm

I would first of all advise you to follow with your doctor to be investigated for the possible causes of this menstrual irregularity. A complete hormonal profile in addition to radiological evaluation(e.g. US) for local assessment are essential.
One of the possible causes is PCOS.

Polycystic ovary syndrome -PCOS- is a condition in which females have problems in
their menstrual cycle,
fertility,
excess hormones including insulin production,
heart, blood vessels,
and physical appearance (obesity).
acne, oily skin, or dandruff
obesity and
high blood pressure
hair loss in specific parts due to high androgen level

Cause of PCOS are not known yet and diagnosis is confirmed by Abdominal US in addition to the other labs.

Between 4% and 7% of women of PCOS produce high level of male hormone testosterone in their ovaries. Recently, it has been shown that some of them they also have high insulin hormone levels to overcome the increased resistance to insulin's effects.

I advised you to follow up with your doctor, he would recommended you the proper treatment according to your hormonal profile results.