Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: how fast does sperm travel?

azagarian - Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:58 am

I am researching for an article on spermatogenesis & oogenesis. Among some of the questions I'm attempting to answer are:

1.)How fast does sperm travel from the testes to the ovum?

2.)If you could compare the rate of travel to an object that would be familiar to an average cast of readers, what would that comparison be?

3.)How much energy could be said to be expended from such an effort by the individual sperm itself in correlation to this comparison?

Your indulgence is highly appreciated and I'll be more than glad to share teh results of my research with the forum.
 Michele P, RN - Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:10 pm

The speed of a sperm cell is never constant & is affected mostly by its physiology & environment. If it was able to be measured, contraception & starting pregnancies would be so much easier.

I did look it up, finding many different possible answers. One speed that was mentioned a few times was an average swimming speed of sperm: 8 inches/hr.

I guess I would compare that to a snail? I have no clue, lol. Sorry, but let me know how you do with your paper!! Best of luck!!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us