Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: undescended testicles

dog78 - Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Please can you help help? I had undescended testicles until the age of 7 when i had surgery to correct them. My wife is extremely worried that this may have made me infertile as she read on a pregnancy web site that having both testicles undescended is a cause of male infertility. She also read that the operation to correct them should be done as early as possible to preserve fertilty and is rather concerned that mine wasn't carried out until i was 7. We have been trying for a baby for two months now and were extemely alarmed when we discovered this. Could this have made me infertile? :(
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:39 pm

If undescended testes are not treated by early surgical correction, they may not produce healthy spermatozoa. If diagnosed and treated in infancy or childhood, most testes develop and function normally, reducing the risks of unhealthy spermatozoa. However, there is an association between previous undescended testes and infertility.

Recent data suggests that 40% of all infertility is ascribed entirely, or in part, to male factors, 40% to female factors with an additional 20% unexplained.

Two months of trying for a baby is too short a time to cause concern – twelve months is a good interval. Have you undergone semen analysis tests? In assessing male infertility, DNA fragmentation levels are now considered more significantly reliable than conventional semen measurements for count, motility and morphology. The result is reported in three statistical categories:
Excellent fertility potential
Good to fair fertility potential
Poorer fertility potential

If you are concerned, this investigation would be a first step in the right direction.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us