Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Pregnancy after Tubal Liagation

hillbillyboone - Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:39 pm

I had a Tubal Liagation in 1997 after the birth of my third child. Last year I believe I might have been pregnant. The reason is because I had a missed period, cravings, swollen painful breasts, swollen stomach, weight gain, you get the idea. I also took a couple of pregnancy tests. One was positive. About a week later I started my period. I was clotting and bleeding very heavily. I hurt very bad with my period. I laid on the couch because I hurt to bad to move around alot. After my period stopped my stomach and my chest went down. Anyway, what I was wondering is what are the chances of having another baby with a normal pregnancy afer having a tubal?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:23 am

Fallopian tubes help eggs to move from the ovary to the uterus each cycle (month).
Tubal ligation is a procedure done for women who chose not to become pregnant (permanently). There are different surgical procedures that are used to achieve this purpose like cauterization and tying (clips). Failure rates are reported in some cases and pregnancy could occur in 1 out of 200 women. Causes of tubal ligation failure may include:
incomplete closure of the tubes,
slipping out of the tying clips.
Reversal procedures of tubal ligation are also available and only specialists can advise which is more convenient if any is possible.
However, attention should be paid to exclude ectopic (tubal) pregnancy if pregnancy occurs after a tubal ligation due to an increased risk from the damaged tubes.
 s3xiimamii4rmdc - Fri May 08, 2009 9:30 am

I am 37 years old and i have 7 boys and one girl which there is 2 sets of twins out of the 7. I divorced in 2007 and recently got married again. i had a tubal and a Norvasure ablation done with my ex. my new husband doesnt have any kids and i would like to give him a child. Is that possible. My new husband is such a blessing to me and i really want to give him a child. I got the tubal because i didnt want anymore from my ex. Now i feel bad because i don't know if i can give my new husband a child. Can you help me.

Tara
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:33 am

This is a common occurrence with a new relationship. Tubals can sometimes be reversed, though there is no guarantee of fertility afterwards due to scarring. But ablations are not intended for anyone wishing to have another child and the lining of the uterus is no longer functioning as would be necessary to sustain a pregnancy. It would be very risky and your chances are so slim I would not spend the money for the reversal and I doubt a doctor would advise you to try under the circumstances.

It is certainly understandable that you want to give your husband a child. Perhaps the two of you could adopt a child together or just try to find contentment in sharing your children. An involved stepfather can do great things for children and can be just as rewarding s having a child of his own.

Aside from this, surrogate parenthood would be the only other idea I could suggest.

My best to both of you.