Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Sexual intercourse

sita004 - Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:50 am

My boyfriend and I have been togethor for over a year. During these last four months I would bleed from my vagina after intercourse. I thought it might have to do with aggressive intercourse but even mild intercourse will result in my loss of blood. I have never experienced this before. I have never had an STD and have been active with my boyfriend alone for over a year now.
The blood loss is mild, it is on tissues after I wipe, however the blood loss does increase with agressive intercourse.
I am not pregnant because I just had my period last week. However everytime I have sex regardless of how far apart I am in my period, I will bleed.
Do you have any suggestions to why this is happening? Is it life threatening?
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:46 am

User avatar Hi!

'Postcoital bleeding' (bleeding after intercourse) could be due to several causes including vaginitis (infection of the vagina), cervicitis (infection of the cervix of the uterus), cervical ectopy (eversion of the cervical lips), cervical polyp (a benign mass), trauma, and cancer. Apart from cancer, none of the causes are lifethreatening, and at your age, and with your monogamous relationship, cancer would be too long a shot.

Make an appointment with your gynecologist and get yourself examined and treated.

Warm regards,

bill