Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Swollen Penis

 Xoeitheror - Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:13 pm

For about a week now it has been stinging when I urinate,mainly near the head,There isnt any discoloration or bad smells,but Im having difficulty urinating almost like something is blocking urethra,I didnt goto the doctor because I figured it would just go away and was nothing serious. Today after urinating,I had a lot of trouble urinating I looked down and noticed my penis had swollen there was a big lump under the skin on the left side right below the head,and all away around the shaft right below the head was like a big swollen ring,also the bottom of the head was swollen,This was pretty grotesque andit has scaredme into wanting to goto the emergency room?What do you think could have caused this,and please tell me they wont have to do surgery. Also do you think i should goto the ER?Im a 17 sexually inactive male and I don't wanna lose anything.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:44 pm

Yes, you should go to ER for examination and treatment. Inability to pass urine or difficulty with micturition requires immediate attention to exclude an obstructive cause. If you are uncircumcised, this may be a condition known as phimosis or paraphimosis but physical examination is necessary to confirm either.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Xoeitheror - Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:10 pm

In any way can anything with these symptoms result in the amputation of my penis?
 Xoeitheror - Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:56 am

I just went to the ER because I completely stopped passing urine,they were baffled,in the urine samples they found white blood cells blood and various bacteria/protein,They tried doing a swab test but my urethra was so swollen they couldnt perform a swab test,They were totally baffled as to what is causing this,because the blockage isnt anywhere in my bladder or kidneys,the block is actually somewhere in the penis is how I took what they were saying.Anyways they got me an appointment with a uroligist tommorow,except Its gotten worse and I cannot sleep,I have a really badurge to goto the bathroom except I cant at all,whenever I try to goto the bathroom it just all travels to my penis,and my penis swells up like im getting an erection from all of the urine,no matter hard I try gets the urine out,I just have to sit and wait for the urine to slowly drip out of the urethra over time.Another Thing I forgot to mention is they gave me a kind of antibiotics and some steroids which arent helping. I know this is a really poorly written article and probably slightly confusing,but does anyone here have any idea what could be causing this,the doctors at the ER were completely baffled honestly.
 Derek H, RN - Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:55 pm


The symptoms you are stating mean that you have to return to the ER IMMEDIATELY. These symptoms do indicate some sort of blockage and must be attended to. I know you say that you have to se a Urologist tomorrow but this has to be attended to today.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:26 pm

I am really surprised that they sent you home in this condition. PLEASE GO BACK TO ER NOW. You may have a urethral obstruction, and emergency treatment to allow outflow of urine is necessary today.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Xoeitheror - Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:39 am

I went back to the ER shortly after making my last post and they inserted a cathatar and drained my bladder They than gave me phenazopyridine and sulfamethoxazole and basically sent me home,I have been able to urinate throughout the day today,although slightly hard it seems to be getting easier.I'm experiencing some weird symptoms that are scaring me very much.All day today I have been very out of it,it seems like My memory bad and its hard to concentrate or think,I keep getting cold/warm chills and shakes almost like I have a fever,also I have a weird buzzing feeling in my chest,and Whenever I stand up or sit down or stretch my hearts starts racing and doesnt slow down for about 30 seconds.I was just wondering if this could be associated with my kidney infection and if I should go back to the ER,Im very worried that these symptoms mean something very bad,and everytime I have been to the ER all they did was a urine test.Should I go back to the ER and If I do what test should I ask to be done?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:36 am

User avatar SIDE EFFECTS: Sulfamethoxazole may cause dizziness, headache, lethargy, diarrhea, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, and rash.

Sulfamethoxazole may form crystals in the urine which may damage the kidney and cause bleeding into the urine. It is important to drink additional liquids during sulfonamide therapy to prevent these side effects.

Phenazopyridine Uncommon side effects that typically go away as your body adjusts to the medication and do not require medical attention unless they continue or are bothersome: dizziness; headache; indigestion; stomach cramps or pain.

Unusual side effects that should be reported to your physician: blue or blue-purple color of skin; fever and confusion; shortness of breath; skin rash; sudden decrease in amount of urine; swelling of face, fingers, feet and/or lower legs; unusual weakness or tiredness*; weight gain; yellow eyes or skin.
 Xoeitheror - Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:26 pm

I know I shouldnt be posting so much but I cant help and worry about these symptoms,Last night I finally fell asleep and I slept for maybe 4 hours,when I awoke from the sleep I felt my heart beating very hard,I could feel it in my head and I could feel the beating in my arms and legs,This feelings was terrible and it felt like my chest was almost collapsing the feeling went away after about 30 seconds and proceeded to get up and goto the bathroom. Afterwards I tried laying back down when i layed down I had a swimming feeling in my head everytime I closed my eyes,I started to get a weird sensation in my chest almost like it was really heavy.I got up because I couldnt sleep like that,and now I have this really terrible nagging feeling in my chest,thats feels Like I have to yawn,but I cannot yawn,and everytime I do happen to yawn my heart starts beating like it did whenever I woke up. Now I know i have this kidney infection but these symptoms feel so terrible,I feel so terrible ill almost like my entire body is shutting down,I don't know if I should take this seriously or if it is just caused by my sleep deprevation,also I have barely drank anything in the past 2 days and the same gos for eating. I just want to know if this could possibily be caused by my kidney infection or sleep deprevation. Should I take these symptoms seriously?Could they mean something more serious such as kidney failure,blood poisoning or heart problems?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:44 pm

Retention of urine is a urologic emergency and catheterisation at ER was the intervention you urgently needed pending investigations.

What has happened to the appointment with the urologist? The cause of your urinary retention cannot be diagnosed on the internet, so please get to see the urologist today as planned.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary medicine
 Xoeitheror - Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:35 pm

After I went back to the ER they toldme I didnt have an appointment to the urologist until next monday,and They said If I could urinate on my own that it would bne alright,and if Not to go back to the ER.What worries me is that they didnt even do any test trying to findout what this was in the ER all they did was a urine test. Im wondering If I should go back or goto a different hospital and ask for certain test.
 Xoeitheror - Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:52 pm

also another thing i forgot to mention is my mother doesnt want me to go back to the ER she says I should wait and see If I get better,I have already been to the ER 2 times and I think shes getting sick of it,and shes just passing these bad symptoms off as normal and says I should wait until next monday.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:07 pm

Please update us on your condition.
 Rekka777 - Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:50 pm

I am having a simaler problem, I am 15 and had my first orgasm yesterday, today the part of the shaft just below the tip is swollen, it dosnt hurt when I pee at the moment, but after reading this im afraid it might get worse. Please respond.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us