Question: Milky discharge & dry, sometimes itchy foreskin

BWayne7 - Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:33 pm

I'm a 24 year old male. I been sexually inactive for almost 4 years. When I was active I was in a serious monogamous relationship. Since then I used to masturbate often but recently I have seriously decreased that activity to almost once, twice at most, every three weeks. About a week ago (about a day after masturbating) I noticed a slight itch on the foreskin. I used to get this irritation following intensive "activity" but this time it was different. I was completely thrown off by a milky discharge coming from my penis. I noticed it right before I urinated. It happened only once and I tried to ignore it. I masturbated last night and It happened again today. Please help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:46 pm

Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis. The most common complication of balanitis is phimosis, or inability to retract the foreskin from the glans penis.

Balanitis is not sexually transmitted. It results from an overgrowth of organisms which are normally present on the skin of the glans. The condition most commonly occurs in uncircumcised men. The environment under the foreskin is warm and moist, and these conditions often favor the growth of the organisms that cause balanitis. These organisms are especially likely to grow if moisture is allowed to persist under the foreskin for a while. This may occur if you have not washed for a couple of days, or sometimes after sexual activity (vaginal, oral or anal - with or without a condom).

One common organism associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans. Balanitis may occur because of excessive growth of Candida, due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.