Question: Masturbation injury or STD?

soapy123 - Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:33 pm

About a year ago I had unprotected sex with a girl who soon after had a Herpes outbreak that was believed to be HSV-1. Planned Parenthood didn't swab it and by the time she got to her GP or GYN, it was long gone. Her doctor (and she) were content with assuming that it was HSV-1. I, on the other hand, freaked out and spent countless hours on this site, looking at my penis and going to doctors, dermatologists and even paying for my own STD tests. Right off the bat I got the IgM test for recent exposure and tested negative. At around 12 weeks, I paid for a complete run through tests of all of the STD's (including the HerpeSelect IgG) and I came up negative on all tests including HSV-1 & 2. A rash that I was probably over-analyzing still persisted, so my Dermatologist did a biopsy to rule out cancer, etc. Nothing. I committed myself to never putting myself through that again and put it all behind me and I'm doing my best to live a "clean" life.

4 nights ago I was away on business and to take care of some stress, I decided to masturbate in the shower. I used some of the hotel soap and away I went. I was pretty tired, so it was taking a lot longer than I'd hoped and as I was finishing up, it started to hurt/sting a little around the rim of my glans - the soap wasn't very "sudsy" or lubricating. (the shower actually went cold it took so long) I finally ejaculated and when I got out of the shower, it looked like I broke some blood vessels in that area and it hurt/stung pretty badly. (I'm not sure if that's what I did, I'm just describing) It was pretty tender and when I got up the next morning it still looked pretty much the same and still hurt quite a bit.

Right now there's one main red, really irritated area and a few slightly raised smaller points about the size of a pinhead - most of them are on the rim of my glans, but one is further up, halfway to the ureter. None have broken out into true blisters (I think), they're just there. I'm starting to wonder if this all goes back to last year and beginning to worry.

Oh yeah and when I'm showering, I'm only taking a WARM shower and a few moments after getting in they turn white/fleshy and slightly larger. Once I get out and dried off, they eventually go back to their smaller size & red color.

My common sense/practical thinking says that the hotel soap, friction and the long time it took me to ejaculate are to blame. My worrysome side is very edgy though and I don't want to put myself through what I went through last year.

This all said - could I have HSV and it have not really shown up for a year in either the tests or in symptoms? Or did I just do this to myself in the shower? What are these things???

Your thoughts on my condition and suggestions of next steps would be greatly appreciated. I can provide some pictures if you let me know where to send them.

Best Regards,

Soapy123
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:08 pm

User avatar Hello Soapy123,

I apologize for the delay in answering your question and I am assuming that it all turned out fine.

Minor trauma to the meatus or shaft of the penis can result from allergens, mechanical trauma, intercourse, oral sex, or chemical irritants. These mechanically induced lesions—as well as those mediated by chemical substances—are often seen as a result of masturbation.

When erect, the penis, is more easily damaged, with one review noting that 50% of penile injuries occurred during sexual intercourse, while an additional 21% were characterized as sequelae of other erotic practices.[1]

The prolonged time and the irritant soap are enough reason for your complaint. I do not think you should look any further. According to what you said you were confirmed negative for HPV, there is no reason to suspect that the test results were wrong and that your HPV recurred 1 year later when another more direct cause is present.

That said and given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are always advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.

References:
==========
1. Pryor JP, Hill JT, Packham DA, et al. Penile injuries with particular reference to injury to the erectile tissue. Br J Urol 1981;53;42-46.