Pregnancy Category B
- H2 antagonist
Inhibits the action of histamine at the histamine2 (H2) receptors of the stomach, inhibiting gastric acid secretion and reducing total pepsin output.
- Short-term treatment of active duodenal ulcer
- Short-term treatment of benign gastric ulcer
- Treatment of pathologic hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome)
- Prophylaxis of stress-induced ulcers and acute upper GI bleed in critically ill patients
- Treatment of erosive gastroesophageal reflux
- Allergy to cimetidine, impaired renal or hepatic function, lactation.
- CNS: Dizziness, somnolence, headache, confusion, hallucinations, peripheral neuropathy; symptoms of brain stem dysfunction (dysarthria, ataxia, diplopia)
- GI: Diarrhea
- CV: Cardiac arrhythmias, arrest; hypotension (IV use)
- Hematologic: Increases in plasma creatinine, serum transaminase
- Other: Impotence (reversible with drug withdrawal), gynecomastia (in long-term treatment), rash, vasculitis, pain at IM injection site
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.