Pregnancy Category B
- Histamine2 (H2) antagonist
Competitively blocks the action of histamine at the histamine (H2) receptors of the parietal cells of the stomach; inhibits basal gastric acid secretion and chemically induced gastric acid secretion.
- Short-term treatment and maintenance of duodenal ulcer
- Short-term treatment of benign gastric ulcer
- Treatment of pathologic hypersecretory conditions
- Short-term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), esophagitis due to GERD
- Allergy to famotidine; renal failure; pregnancy; lactation.
- CNS: Headache, malaise, dizziness, somnolence, insomnia
- GI: Diarrhea, constipation, anorexia, abdominal pain
- Dermatologic: Skin rash
- Other: Muscle cramp, increase in total bilirubin, sexual impotence
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.