Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Do I have GERD? Please advise

HighMount - Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:07 pm

Hi, I'm 35, I'm in fantastic shape and have never had a problem with heartburn at all. I've never experience "backwash" into my throat either, or frankly most of the symptoms of acid reflux. however, about 5 days ago it became very difficult to swallow because it felt like I was swallowing fire. I couldn't eat and was getting dehydrated and fatigued. My med insurance doesn't start until Dec 1 so I had to go to the ER. They did chest, abdomen sonogram etc and said they couldn't find anything and "suspected" gerd and prescribedme Nexium at $160/bottle(!!!!!). So I've been taking that for a week and, no change, although I'm eating a tiny bit now not because I"ve improved but rather beause I've "learned" to eat small amounts by washing with water etc.

After researching a bit on the internet it almost sounds more like I have an ulcer, because it hurts as it's going down, then for maybe a minute, and it basically stops; almost like as food or water (which does hurt, just not as much as food) is "rubbing" something on the way down.

I'm in a lot of pain, and I'm living on "Boost" type drinks, and very tiny bites of washed-down food. I'm not sure if I should wait until next Thu when my ins starts again or go back to the ER on the idea that I could be making it worse by trying to wait.

Any thoughts? I'm in hell, thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:24 am

User avatar Hi HighMount,
Did they not advise you to return if symptoms did not improve? You really need evaluated by a Gastroenterologist. GERD may cause ulcerations in the esophagus and if your symptoms remain as bad as they were previously you need re-evaluated.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us