Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Do I have GERD? Please advise

HighMount - Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:07 pm

Hi, I'm 35, I'm in fantastic shape and have never had a problem with heartburn at all. I've never experience "backwash" into my throat either, or frankly most of the symptoms of acid reflux. however, about 5 days ago it became very difficult to swallow because it felt like I was swallowing fire. I couldn't eat and was getting dehydrated and fatigued. My med insurance doesn't start until Dec 1 so I had to go to the ER. They did chest, abdomen sonogram etc and said they couldn't find anything and "suspected" gerd and prescribedme Nexium at $160/bottle(!!!!!). So I've been taking that for a week and, no change, although I'm eating a tiny bit now not because I"ve improved but rather beause I've "learned" to eat small amounts by washing with water etc.

After researching a bit on the internet it almost sounds more like I have an ulcer, because it hurts as it's going down, then for maybe a minute, and it basically stops; almost like as food or water (which does hurt, just not as much as food) is "rubbing" something on the way down.

I'm in a lot of pain, and I'm living on "Boost" type drinks, and very tiny bites of washed-down food. I'm not sure if I should wait until next Thu when my ins starts again or go back to the ER on the idea that I could be making it worse by trying to wait.

Any thoughts? I'm in hell, thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:24 am

User avatar Hi HighMount,
Did they not advise you to return if symptoms did not improve? You really need evaluated by a Gastroenterologist. GERD may cause ulcerations in the esophagus and if your symptoms remain as bad as they were previously you need re-evaluated.