Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: indigestion with hunger

LB - Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm

Lately, I have been having a frequent occurance of having indigestion about the same time I start noticing hunger signs. If I eat right away, and consume enough food to feel full, I'm usually OK. However, if I wait too long, it won't matter if I eat or not, the indigestion will continue and get more severe for several hours. While I am fairly sure that I am suffering from fibromyalgia, (and have now begun a holistic remedy plan) I am not yet ready to assume that this specific indigestion problem is related to the fibromyalga, as I have had this same indigestion problem many years ago, before the fibromyalgia was present.

Thank you!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:47 pm

User avatar Dear LB,

Gastritis is more likely to be the cause of your complaint.
Gastritis is an inflammatory disorder affecting the gastric mucosa.
Causes include:
- Reflux gastritis: due to exposure to the irritant secretions of the gall bladder and pancreas.
- Infectious gastritis: commonest is H. pylori.
- Chemical irritants: like NSAIDs.

Peptic ulcer disease (PUD) is an open sore in the mucosa of the stomach or duodenum.

Patients usually present with burning upper abdominal pain that increases when the stomach is empty and relieved by antacids, vomiting or eating.

Other symptoms include:
Nausea
Vomiting
Loss of appetite
Belching or bloating
A feeling of fullness in your upper abdomen after eating
Weight loss

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to be checked by your doctor.