Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Off and on belly button pain....

bettyboop22 - Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:29 pm

Hi all,
For the past few months I have been having sporadic pain around my navel area...(it's actually slightly above the navel). It is a really sore, burning, pulling feeling. The pain gets worse with coughing, sneezing, and lifting. I was thinking maybe it could be an umbilical hernia but I haven't noticed any lumps so to speak. I am a nurse and lifting on patients is getting difficult because of the pain. I have a history of endometriosis and ovarian cysts and have had three laparoscopies for the above...with each surgery access was gained thru the navel area.... Could it be a small hernia, scar tissue,etc? Thanks in advance for any info....
 bettyboop22 - Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:47 pm

I guess I also should have mentioned that I'm also having bouts with constipation, off and on nausea, and my stomach feels bloated and tight....ugggghhh.
Thanks :)
 georgey123 - Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:31 am

hi i am a student nurse, did the laproscopy rule out appendicitis as the diarrhoea and nausea/vomiting is standard as you know and the pain in the umbilicas that may be the cause, in the uk we call it a grumbling appendix if the pain is not constant and sometimes as in my case they remove it to prevent the appendix becoming inflammed or rupturing