Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: mucus in stool when constipated

confused_23 - Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:40 am

Two days ago, while being constipated, I passed a very hard big and lumpy piece of stool with quite a lot (a table spoon or so) visible whitish/clear mucus on it. Also on two occasions in last two months I noticed clear mucus on toilet paper when wiping.

It never happened before, and I was only having constipation in the last half a year (Its appearance is directly connected to stressful periods in my life). Roughly half of the time I have usual stool and am not constipated. After passing some hard big stool I also have a few droops of bright blood on toilet paper when wiping, and it hurts to defecate.

I'm quite scared of this last mucus on my stool thing since I read it could indicate some serious disease, so should I pay attention to this? Thx for your help.
 FlippinFRACK - Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:13 pm

I have cronic constipation and proctitis, which is a inflamation of the rectum. This causes me to always have blood and mucus in my stool. Maybe you should look into this condition.. either way I would go to a GI and get a colonoscopy.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us