Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdomen Lump - what is it?

 TSQuint - Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 pm

Hi, I have this "lump" in my lower abdomen and have no idea what it is.

On my right side, directly across from my bellybutton a firm (but not rock hard) lump about an inch thick, starts and curves up (seemingly) under the last rib on that side.

It normally causes no pain as such, but sometimes it can cause a burning uncomfortable sensation (maybe like a strain?). Could it be a hernia? Or blown muscle or something? Or tumour or cancer? Or an absess?

For a better idea of where it is, I drew it in red on the following picture in approx. size etc.


Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Strangely, if I flex my abdomen muscles, I can't feel the lump at all through them. I post here because i am gravely afraid of hospitals and such, ive never had a "checkup" before. Also, this "lump" has been there for a year now with no change in size etc.

I hope someone can help.
 TSQuint - Wed May 24, 2006 11:23 am

Okay, four months on today I've noticed I've got the exact same kind of lump forming on my left side as well. After a bowl movement it is very tender there for ten or so minutes, if i push on my side only slightly it causes pains right around my belly like trapped wind or a strain.
 browneyesuzyq2 - Thu May 10, 2007 5:41 pm

I am a 46 year old female, I am also a diabetic. I have a lump on right side of stomach that has growed bigger over the past few years. It started on my right side at the bottom of my rib cage and has grown across my stomach above my belly button and is about 3" wide and 6" long. I have sharp pains that start from my side and sometimes I have a dull aching pain. When I bend over it hurts sometimes too. My family Doctor has been keeping up with it over the years but he is not sure what it is. Last August I had a CT scan done but nothing showed up. Two weeks ago they did an ultrasound and found a polyp in my gallbladder but where the lump is nothing showed up (no mass). I go see a surgeon Monday, May 14th to schedule surgery to have my gallbladder removed. Can someone please give me some answers on this? Could it be some type of cancer? I am very worried, if any one else has had this please let me know. Thank you.
 acrobbi - Tue May 15, 2007 7:23 am


You may want to be checked for a Hernia (it cound not hurt to be checked) , my husband went to see his surgeon for another problem a few weeks ago and he has a hernia at his naval. He never knew he had it but it is very senstive when it is touched.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us