Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain in stomach after eating

flip314 - Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:30 am

I am a w/f 32 years old and had galbladder and parts of my female organs removed in 1995. I have also had gastric bypass surgery in 2001. Every time I eat I get a sharp pain in my stomach that lasts about an hour. I have tried everything and nothing so far is working. I am eating liquids and that seems to be working. I have been eating this way for about a week and every time I eat something that is thicker that liquid I get this pain. The pain is very sharp and it occurs about two minutes after I swallow food. Please help all help is appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:38 pm

User avatar Hello,

If your pain is related to food intake it could be dyspepsia with ulcer-like symptoms. You would need to be examined to exclude the presence of anything serious.

Once it is determined that the condition is safe the patient may be given a trial of empiric antisecretory drug therapy.

Please refer to your doctor if you haven't already done so.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us