Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: upper rib pain

mistygirl - Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 pm

hi i am 43 female and i have a rather sharp intense pain in upper left rib and i feel a lump in the rib area. sometimes i have like a lump of flem in throat and it feels like its burning at pit of stomach. i also suffer constipation and sometimes dirahorea. i go to the gym and do circuit training for 3 years now and lately if i skip or jump i get the sharp pain and have to stop. i have had blood tests and currently going through further testing just wondering what it could be i think its gallstones. bye mistygirl
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:50 pm

User avatar Hello,

Gall stone related pain would produce epigastric or right upper quadrant; may be referred to right shoulder.

Upper chest pain could be anything from muscular pain to something more serious in the lungs. I recommend that you check this out with your doctor to rule out anything serious.
 mistygirl - Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:14 pm

thank you for answering my question. i press on my upper back and it hurts when i press on it.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:16 am

User avatar This could be inflammatory but I must stress again the importance of a physical examination.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us