Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: upper rib pain

mistygirl - Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 pm

hi i am 43 female and i have a rather sharp intense pain in upper left rib and i feel a lump in the rib area. sometimes i have like a lump of flem in throat and it feels like its burning at pit of stomach. i also suffer constipation and sometimes dirahorea. i go to the gym and do circuit training for 3 years now and lately if i skip or jump i get the sharp pain and have to stop. i have had blood tests and currently going through further testing just wondering what it could be i think its gallstones. bye mistygirl
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:50 pm

Gall stone related pain would produce epigastric or right upper quadrant; may be referred to right shoulder.

Upper chest pain could be anything from muscular pain to something more serious in the lungs. I recommend that you check this out with your doctor to rule out anything serious.
 mistygirl - Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:14 pm

thank you for answering my question. i press on my upper back and it hurts when i press on it.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:16 am

User avatar This could be inflammatory but I must stress again the importance of a physical examination.