Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Lower right abdominal pain

 BSW - Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:50 pm

I am a 40 year old male in good health and no known health problems or past surgeries. I have been having pain in the lower right abdomen for about 3 months. At times the pain can be severe and other times barely noticiable. For the past 2 days the pain has been severe and constant. I have no others symptoms or problems that I can see. No difficulty urinating, no sexual discomfort and no increase in urination. I take no medications.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:28 am

User avatar Hello,

Pain between the umbilicus and the symphysis pubis usually emanates from hindgut organs (eg, distal one third of the transverse colon, descending colon, rectosigmoid region).

Chronic lower abdominal pain can be caused by irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, cancer. Right lower quadrant fullness and pain or perianal disease may indicate Crohn's disease.

The evaluation of chronic abdominal pain in a patient younger than 50 years old typically begins with ruling out the presence of alarm symptoms (weight loss, gastrointestinal bleeding, anemia, fever, or frequent nocturnal symptoms).

If no alarm symptoms are present and the patient has altered bowel habits then evaluation for irritable bowel syndrome is considered. This my include a CBC, TSH and electrolyte levels, and examination with flexible sigmoidoscopy.

Those with alarm symptoms or age above 50 years old may require a referral to a gastroenterologist.

Is your pain related to a change in bowel habits? This could suggest irritable bowel syndrome. Either way you should be examined so that the more serious causes are excluded such as inflammatory bowel disease or cancer.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us