Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: severe abdominal pain and diarrhea after running

jkat22 - Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:47 am

Since I was in high school (I'm 26 now), I've always ended up in the restroom with severe cramps and diahrrea after I've run outside (for anything over half a mile). I went to the doctor, and he changed my diet, thinking it was the grease in my breakfast affecting me (sausage and bacon, etc.) but after changing it to cereal, I still had the same results. But when I run inside, (on a treadmill) I don't have any of those symptoms, and I'm running 4-5 miles at a time. What is it about running outside that is affecting my system like this, and is there anything I can do so that I CAN finally be able to run outside like a normal person? Thanks.
 jkat22 - Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:50 am

I forgot to include I'm female, and as for family history, my mom has Lupus and Diabetes. I've never had surgery, and I'm not on medication.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us