Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: possible parasite infestation?

acfl - Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:45 am

When I was younger (8 or 10 apx), i found very small, white worms in my stool. I didn't see the doctor but I was prescribed one pill which I took, but I don't think was effective.

I'm 18 now, and worried I may be infested with worms. I have:

Itching around the anus (could this be psychic becuase of my worry of being infested, or possibly caused by diarreah?)
Occasional dirreah
Excessive gas, and upset stomach

I have other symptoms that could be related such as:

Fatigue and insomnia
Headache

Any info would help. I especially want to know what kind of worm it was that I had when I was younger (very small, white), is it possible that I never got rid of them and still have them, could I have a different type of parasite (I'm particularly scared i have a roundworm or tapeworm), what should I do medical wise, could these symptoms be result of just worrying I have parasites?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:28 am

User avatar Hi acfl,
It would be quite unlikely that you would be afflicted with a continued infestation for such an extended peruiod of time. If your concern is a possible current parasitic infestation that you may have recently acquired a labtest on your stool by your physician would identify if such a condition exists.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us