Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain in left side.

 positively simple - Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:32 am

Hello. I am writing this out of concern for my girlfriend. She is 16 and has not seen a doctor on this matter as of yet. I don't belive she has ever had any surgeries, and I am unsure of her family history. She is not on any medications. The pain she is exspierencing is the same as the pain you get in your side while running, although she is not running when the pain occurs. The pain started a few months ago and at first ony came once maybe twice per week. This week however the pain has become more often and more intense. Coming on a daily basis and sometimes makeing it hard for her to even get out of bed. She is healthy in all other respects as far as i can tell she is of a slim build and is faily active. If any other information is needed just post and I will repy with an answer as soon as possible any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:58 pm

User avatar Hello,

Left upper quadrant pain is commonly associated with colonic diseases or splenic diseases. The spleen may be enlarged or may be the seat of an infarction. Diseases of the colon may include anything from distension of the splenic flexure of the colon as in cases of irritable bowel syndrome to colonic cancer. It could also be related to abdominal wall.

Since her pain is progressing in intensity and frequency, I would suggest she go to the doctor to have it checked out.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us