Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Extreme pain in back and side

 lindasaw - Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:15 pm

I am a 54 year old woman. I have had horrible pain in my back left flank. under shoulder blade down (not quite to my belt line)I had the pain for 3 days and it became increasingly worse. on day 4 i went to the ER. They exrayed(body scan) checked my heart and blood and urine. They pain medicated me with IV like I had a kidney stone. Nothing was found. everything was great no problems.BUT the pain is horrible. They gave me loratab and flexerill. went back one hour later the pain had worsened. with 5 hours of IV pain meds I was good and rested finally.When IV was detached the pain returned. I took the pills immediately. I stay medicated the pain is gone. I cannot live on pain meds. I have to work. the pain tonight after dinner was feeding to the front left side and felt like something was wiggeling thru me. sounds dumb but only way I can think to describe it.
got any ideas? the hospital is at a loss and so am I.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:31 pm

User avatar Hello,

Flank pain is usually related to the kidneys. It may be a stone resulting in a renal colic or other kidney pathology.

It is puzzling indeed if your initial results all came back negative. However, more specialized investigations may be required to determine the cause of your pain. I think you should consult a urologist just to exclude the most likely cause.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us