Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Right side pain, under ribs

 cardiacnurz - Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:03 pm

38 yr old female
Post Lap Chole 97, Post Lami 05
No Medical Hx
Family Hx: Diabetes, HTN, Asthma
No Current Meds
Have been having sharp stabbing pains in my right side, if I palpate directly under my ribs and then I lean forward the pain is WOW! sharp and brief. I cannot feel an enlargement but the pain is irritating and relentless. I also am having sharp pain in my mid scapular area on the right side. Related? I do not know.
Thanks for your opinion.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:03 pm

User avatar Hello,

Location of abdominal pain is most easily categorized on the basis of embryologic origin. Pain located between the xiphoid process and the umbilicus originates in the foregut, which includes the distal esophagus, stomach, proximal duodenum, biliary tree, pancreas, and liver.

You mentioned a history of laparoscopic cholecystectomy so that rules out gall bladder disease. Liver disease needs to be ruled out. You will have to be examined for that, I'm afraid.

I would recommend a visit to your doctor as soon as possible.

Best regards.
 cardiacnurz - Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:17 pm

Thank you for your input. I had an inkling I might need to have my liver checked but there is no hx of problems in my family with the liver or Cancer so I disregarded the thought. I do not have any jaundice, am not a drinker or any thing else but as a health care person maybe I have been exposed to something that may have affected my liver.
Thanks again,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us