Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomach Flu or Food Posioning?

houstonjoe - Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:19 pm

On Feb 22, 06, I ate dinner at 5:30 or so. I felt fine completly fine all day up to that point. I arrived at my home and I started to feel crampy, nausa, head ache and I severly vomited up til 11:00 or so. I had a very restless nights sleep. I attempted to work the next day. I didn't make past 12:00. I then started to experience the same conditions except I was no longer vomiting. I called my doctor and he called in Cipro.

Its been three days and I feel just a little better. However, I still have severe diahrea,slight body aches, and I feel weak and am experiencing cold flashes/sweats. My stomach also making all kinds of weird noises? I did not get diahrea until the second day.

Is this food posioning or a stomach flu? How long does this last?

Thanks for your help
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:48 am

User avatar Hi houstonjoe,
Influenza (flu) may last from 1-7 days and typically causes symptoms as you describe. Signs and symptoms of food poisoning may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea but does not typically include aching, or hot/cold flashes or sweats.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us