Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: rectal bleeding

 edmund44 - Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:21 am

I am a 51 year old male. 5'6 115 lbs. My diet is mostly fast food. I eat only once a day at night, no appetite during the day. I have had occasional rectal bleeding when using the toilet for several years. It first occured when I was given Flagyl for something about 10 years ago. And also when I drink Lemonade and orange juice. Just realized this was when it would happen. My stools are soft and light colored, sometimes diarhea, no pain, but a gush of bright red blood with it. Urine looks normal. I do have frequent acid indigestion at night only. I have had my gall bladder removed about 20 years ago. Mother had cancer. Sister has Chrones Disease. I am a smoker and when I was young I had a seizure and was put on Phenytoin, still on it. I also was put on Klonopin 3yrs ago for panic attacks. Been fine in those areas, but the bloody stool does concern me. Any thoughts ? Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:39 am

User avatar Hi edmund44,
Diets (high in fat content) have been shown to increase risks of certain types of cancer. Bright red rectal bleeding is typically associated with disorders of the lower gastrointestinal tract, which may be both benign or self limiting conditions or signs of more serious conditions including cancer. Any rectal bleeding should be evaluated by your physician to identify the source. A physical examination, including diagnostic studies, for example, a colonoscopy may be indicated. I would strongly suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us