Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Gallbladder Wall Dismotility Suspected

Hopeful110670 - Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:08 pm

Hello:

I was wondering if a doctor or nurse could explain to me what the above mentioned means, Gall Bladder Wall Dismotility Suspected.

I just had a pipida, hida scan done and the results came back mentioning my gall bladder was functioning at 17% and also underlying gall bladder wall dismotility suspected. I have been trying to do some research on my own and some articles I read said that it could be caused by Cancer?!

Please, I am very nervous as to what is going on and my doctor is on vacation until next Wednesday.

Thank you for an explanation in advance.

Ali
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:00 am

Gallbladder emptying is regulated by both neural and hormonal factors. When the gallbladder contracts, relaxation of Oddi
sphincter occurs to allow the passage of bile.

Abnormality of either results in impaired gallbladder emptying.

Abnormal gallbladder motility results in impaired bile emptying.
This could be due to inflammation of the gall bladder wall, ischemia, post traumatic, defects in the muscular as a part of autonomic nervous system disturbance.

This commonly results in acalculous gallbladder disease -Gallbladder disease without stones- , Acute (suddenly) or chronic (persistent) forms exist.

Clinically the disease is similar to calcular cholecystitis.

Cholecystectomy is used to treat the majority of cases.

Hope you find this information useful. Follow up with your doctor is essential.