Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: thick flap (skin) protruding from anus

courage - Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:54 pm

Hello,

I am a 27 year old female with an 18-19 year history of anorexia nervosa. I used to abuse enemas, but haven't used one in 2-3 years. This piece of skin has recently doubled or tripled in size. I read somewhere that your colon wall can become weak and literally start to fall out. Is that what is happening? If so, what is it called? I will go to my doctor as soon as I find out the name for it. It is close to the size of a dime.

Thanks for your help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:53 am

User avatar Hi courage,
Are you experiencing burning, itching, pain, bleeding etc., in the area? If so, these may be symptoms of, for example, a hemorrhoid. Regardless of the causative factor I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the cause.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 courage - Mon May 01, 2006 12:03 am

There is no itching and very little pain. However, there is often bleeding. When it does bleed, it bleeds a lot. The blood comes from the inside though, not the actual skin (flap). I am too embarrassed to talk to my regular doctor about it. If it gets worse, I will go see someone else. I have had it for many months and I haven't died yet.

Thanks.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us