Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: thick flap (skin) protruding from anus

courage - Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:54 pm

I am a 27 year old female with an 18-19 year history of anorexia nervosa. I used to abuse enemas, but haven't used one in 2-3 years. This piece of skin has recently doubled or tripled in size. I read somewhere that your colon wall can become weak and literally start to fall out. Is that what is happening? If so, what is it called? I will go to my doctor as soon as I find out the name for it. It is close to the size of a dime.

Thanks for your help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:53 am

User avatar Hi courage,
Are you experiencing burning, itching, pain, bleeding etc., in the area? If so, these may be symptoms of, for example, a hemorrhoid. Regardless of the causative factor I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the cause.
 courage - Mon May 01, 2006 12:03 am

There is no itching and very little pain. However, there is often bleeding. When it does bleed, it bleeds a lot. The blood comes from the inside though, not the actual skin (flap). I am too embarrassed to talk to my regular doctor about it. If it gets worse, I will go see someone else. I have had it for many months and I haven't died yet.

Thanks.