Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain in the esophugus and chest

mommieduck - Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:59 am

I am a 34 year old female with a history of GERD, since I was 7 years of age. 3 years ago I had a nissen fundoplication done with great results and no complications. i also had my gallbladder removed. I was told I have barretts. medicine treatments do not work for me. 1 Year after the surgery I started having heartburn again. The problem I have now is chest pain right over my spleen area radiating up towards my throat. it feels very heavy, like i ate way too much. it gets worse if i eat or drink anything. i get very bloated and burp like a truck driver. there is no meds that relieve this. my heart rate can jump up to 120bpm. i normaly have a low BP. but it is starting to increase. The doctor has checked my heart and all is well. i am concerned that the nissen "wrap" has come undone. The doctors where i live do not specialize in any gastric field. this has been going on for a month or so, now i have been having swelling in my feet if i am up for too long. I am concerned as to what is going on and can not seem to get any answers, can you help?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:47 pm

User avatar Hello,

Your symptoms could be due to
- recurrence of GERD and esophagitis.
Although the rate of GERD recurrence is generally low, but it depends on many factors.

-PCS -post cholecystectomy syndrome- is caused by alterations in bile flow as a result of removal of the gallbladder. The inappropriate bile flow leads to esophagitis and gastritis and or in others, diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain.
Causes include:
Residual or reformed gallbladder
Sphincter of Oddi dyskinesia, spasm, or hypertrophy
Sphincter of Oddi stricture .

It gives also similar clinical picture to your symptoms.
I advise you to follow with your Doctor as soon as possible for proper assessment and management.

Keep us updated,
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us