Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Pale stool/liver related

l2k88 - Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:39 pm

I am 24 yrs old and have noticed for the last couple of weeks that my stool color has been a yellowish tan color. The consistency varies alot. Other than that, I do not have symptoms like dark urine or jaundice. The only other I might have would be being a little more tired than usual. Is this something to worry about? Right now I am pretty worried and don't know what could cause this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:02 pm

User avatar Hello,

There is a list of causes that result in pale stool.
Associated symptoms and signs that give clues for diagnosis.

You have mentioned that you did not notice any associated symptom or sign , it is only pale soft stool.

Pale stool indicates insufficient bile output and excess undigested fat in stool, a condition seen in diseases like
-cholecystitis, gallstones: Right hypochondrial pain related to fatty meal is a common symptom
-Giardia parasitic infection: Abdominal pain and clocks are common with diarrhea.
-Chronic pancreatitis, or cirrhosis sometimes silent or upper abdominal pain is associated.

Other causes include: antacids that contain aluminum hydroxide.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Initial investigation is a stool analysis.

I advise you to follow with your Doctor.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us