Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sharp, Stabbing Pain in Abdomen

Sondra13 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:56 am

For the past few months, I have been having severe stomach cramping each day when I eat for the first time, and sometimes the second time as well. I thought nothing of it, though it is extremely painful. About two weeks ago, however, I began having sharp, stabbing pain on my left side, about two inches below my ribcage and slightly to the left (approximately 5 inches from my belly button). The pain comes and goes, lasting approximately five to fifteen seconds. I described it to my fiance as feeling like "someone was slicing and stabbing my insides with a knife."
I looked this problem up online and saw some references to mono (which I had-according to one doctor- about a year ago), and an enlarged spleen (my 2 year old niece and nephew jump on me sometimes...I mention this only because of what I read on other sites). Anyway, I don't have medical insurance and don't want to go to the doctor or ER for no reason. Do you think it is something serious?
Thank-you for your time and any possible assistance that you may be able to render.
Sincerely,
Sondra
Sex: Female
Past Diagnoses/Surgeries: I need surgery to remove ovarian cysts and pilonidal cysts, as well as root canals (which I assume are unrelated!) I have severe back pain (dating from a car accident in 10/1999 and exacberrated in 3/2006)
Family History: Nothing I can think of that would relate...unless colon cancer?
Medications: Some narcotic pain relievers for back pain.

P.S. I apologize for the length of this post, but wanted to ensure that all information that may be related to any problem I may have was included.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:30 pm

User avatar Hello,

Sharp burning pain in upper abdomen (mainly left side) or lower chest (behind the breast bone) is more likely to be of one of the following conditions:
Gastric problems:
- GERD
- Gastritis due to H pylori or Drug induced (NSAID)
or gastric ulcer.
The pain is worsened when the stomach is empty , or by spicy foods or carbonated beverages and temporary relieved by simple foods and antacids.

I would consider Gastritis in your cases as you have mentioned that you are receiving Analgesics (NSAID) for the back pain.

Other causes for exclusion are:
- IBS may also give similar clinical picture, like
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension

Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

I did not get well the information about splenomegally. splenomegally may cause dull aching pain in the left hypochondrium.

Hope you find this information useful.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to consult your doctor for proper management.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us