Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Home hemocult tests?

nucat78 - Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:32 am

I am a 51y.o. male, no family history colon CA, but a lot of IBS and duodenal ulcers in the family.

I'm curious about the accuracy of home tests for occult blood in the stool. A specific one has 5 test sheets - one control, one water quality and three tests - that you float on the water surface after a BM and check for a blue color on the test area.

Are these home test reasonably accurate? A friend (male) was dx'd with colon cancer at age 48 (although he had gross blood in his stool) and it's really frightened a number of us in our late 40s and early 50s.

Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:57 pm

User avatar Occult blood tests used in the office or hospital are quite sensitive for blood. Unfortunately, I am not aware of the specific brand of test you are referring to, but the test should come with some literature that should include accuracy data.

Off the top of my head, I would suspect such a test would be reasonable good; however, I cannot be sure. In general, a positive home test should be confirmed by a clinic or hospital test just to be safe. Also, you should follow up with your doctor on a regular basis for physical examinations, and if you develop any concerning symptoms.

Hope this helps.