Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Acid Reflux or Heart Disease

Lisa - Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:18 pm

I am a 47 year old female with on and off problems with heartburn and belching and tightness in my chest, which is usually relieved a good bit by belching. The only past surgery I have had is a c-section and that almost 25 years ago. The only family history of disease in my birth family is alzheimers disease, diabetes and gallbladder disease. I am currently on 40mg Protonix. 5 weeks ago I developed a bad stomach ache and I all of a sudden had a severe bout of vomiting right behind it, I vomited 5 or 6 times straight. My upper abdominal area has been sore ever since and tight, and I think that is due to a lot of stress from worry. I have noticed upon bending over sometimes burning behind my breastbone. I also experience gurgling in my upper abdomen and behind my breastbone. Even occasional hiccuping and belching at the same time. And tenderness in the middle of my upper abdomen. I am due to see my gastroenterologist Thursday. If this is reflux, doesn't it usually make you belch acid up into your esophagus and leave a sour taste in your mouth, because if this is so, I do not have that problem. I was having to prop up on a wedge pillow to sleep at night during this spell, as my chest on several different occasions burned so badly when I was lying flat I had to prop up. I have had no more vomiting. Just that one episode but do notice a rapid heartbeat at times, which I feel may be due to anxiety since this has me highly stressed, but am not sure. I also notice what feels like something sticking me inside in the upper area of my abdomen and behind my breastbone. Any idea what this could be? I have experienced this before in the past, but not this bad. And even though it has improved the sticking feeling I am having in my upper abdomen is annoying. Thanks.
 edenton - Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:05 am

Lisa,

First off I am not a doctor nor do I have any medical training.

However, many of the symptoms you have are very similar to mine. I had several heart tests done and they found nothing. Prior to my GERD dianosis, I had daily heartburn. Then it became chest pain, belching and other stomach issues.

One thing I do know: Worrying about this seems to significantly compound the problem. I am convinced that a lot of my problems were caused by my excessive worry. This stuff is treatable and maybe it will just take a dianosis and then finding the right medicine. Protonix did not work long for me, but there are other things out there.

Good Luck

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us