Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: stomach death???

Toy - Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:44 pm

Is it possible for the stomach muscle to die? My dad became violently sick and was unable to eat or drink anything about 2 months before his death. He received fluids through a central line. He had surgery to place a permeant feeding tube but died the next day due to heart complications. I heard many stories concerning the cause of his problems - Everything from 'he was poisoned' to 'his stomach muscle died due to ulcers'. Is it possible for the stomach muscle to completely stop working due to ulcers? Is there another reason that could cause his stomach muscle to die? Is it even possible? I have tried to do some Internet research but I haven't been able to find anything about the stomach muscle dying. Is there some other condition that would cause him to become violently ill whenever he drank or ate anything. The food in his stomach would not digest at all. I cannot get a copy of his medical records. Only his wife can get a copy of them and I have been unable to locate her. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:32 am

User avatar Hi Toy,
Signs and symptoms of gastritis may present with nausea, vomiting, appetite and weight loss, etc. When this condition is left untreated peptic ulcers may arise. Generally speaking, this also causes the above symptoms but with progression of the process vomiting blood may occur as well. Again, untreated, the chain of events may also lead to cancer of the stomach. To my knowledge, I am not aware of "death of the stomach" but it does sound like he had multiple complications. Second guessing at this stage would be pointless and the only way you will essentially know what events transpired is by the documentation in the medical records. My sympathy regarding your loss.