Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Hard Stool, Back Pain, Related? Please Help.

Ashleyisworried - Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:58 pm

I hurt my back recently, tore or pulled, I'm not sure what the doctor said, but he gave me two pain killers and a muscle relaxer, I'm not sure how I hurt my back, I just woke up with pain. Anyway, around the time my back started hurting my stool became hard and difficult to pass. I'm not sure if this is normal, and it's sortof embarrasing, so I am asking you. About half an hour ago I used the bathroom and my stool was so large and hard that it actually abrased my skin. Suprisingly, my back felt a bit better after it had passed... do you think that these two things are related? May my back pain have been misdiagnosed? Or is this something completley different? Should I go back to the doctor? -Ashley
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:24 pm

It is less likely to consider a direct relation between the trauma you had and your GI symptoms.
Spinal cord injuries that results in GI and or bladder problems show different presentation.

Following trauma I assume that you have reduced your physical activity. This subsequently will lead to a more hard stool and reduced bowel movements (a form of constipation). This in turn results in pelvic congestion and pelvic pain, what explain why you feel more relived after defecation, as the congestion declines.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.