Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomach pain and nausea

 Chellea467 - Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:03 pm

I am a female of 16. In December of 2005, I was hit hard with the stomach flu. Ever since then, I have had pain (that comes and goes) all along my abdomen from my stomach to where my liver is. I am also constantly nauseous. The first thing I tried doing was changing my diet, but that didn't do a thing. My past treatment is as follows:

I have been to a Minnesota Gastroenterology center, where at first my doctor said it was probably an acid irritation I got from the virus I had. She gave me a generic version of Prevacid. I tried taking the pills for about 2 or 3 months, and they didn't do anything, and they started to make me feel worse, so I stopped taking them. The second step was x-rays on my stomach/abdomen. The results came back normal. Next, I went in for a UGI/SBFT. These results came back normal as well. The next thing was an ultra sound of my gall bladder, which came back normal. The final thing I have have been in for was a HIDA scan with ejection fraction. That also came back normal. The next thing I am scheduled for is a meeting with my doctor at the Gastroenterology center on the 22nd of February.

I am so sick of feeling horrible all the time. Do have any suggestions about what might be wrong with me? I have thought of a few possibilities such as my diet and stress, but none of it seems to fit. Do you have any suggestions of what might be wrong with me?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:20 am

User avatar At this point, it is likely that you should undergo an endoscopy. This is where the GI doctor uses a camera to look at the lining of your esophagus, stomach and upper small intestine. Biopsies can be taken in each area to look for inflammation or other causes of pain.

You may also wish to be tested for H. Pylori, a bacteria that can cause ulcers.

Best wishes. Keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us