Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: My grandfather's stomach is growling - dark brown stools

PaulYoakum - Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:38 pm

My mother and I are taking care of my grandfather. He is 84 years old and has a history of UTIs (I don't know if that's important) and recently underwent a related surgery, as well as vascular dementia (making him dependant on us for his care). For the last 24 hours I have noticed his stomach growling on a farely regular basis, and in that time he has had 3 bowel movements which have been soft but solid. 1 of them was medium brown in color, but the other 2 were very dark brown (but not black). He has a doctor's appointment in a week, but what I am wondering is whether or not this is potentially a serious problem that we should take care of now, or wait (making notes of further bowel movements) and just bring this problem up with his doctor?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:41 pm

User avatar I would suggest that you continue to watch your grandfather closely. It is possible that he is coming down with a GI virus. Watch for fevers, diarrhea and vomiting. The important thing is that he stays well hydrated.

If it appears that he is getting sicker, I would recommend he be evaluated. If his doctor is not able to see him sooner he can go to the urgent care.

Best wishes.
 PaulYoakum - Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:58 pm

will do.
thank you

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us