Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Intermittent Abdominal Pains, Nausea/Vomiting

 jdeluca - Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:50 pm

I am 25 year old Male with exceptional prior health. No medications, allergies, or prior hospitalizations. Typically high-stressed and a perfectionist by nature.

Experiencing intermittent abdominal pains once every 6-8 weeks. Can find no correlation to diet.

Resulting effects include nausea, vomiting, cold sweats. No relief via standard over the counter antacids. Relief typically after expulsion of all stomach contents via vomiting periodically for 4-6 hours. Other avenues of temporary relief through gas and passing of stool, although ability to do so is minimal often times.

Visited ER this week, normal blood work, normal x-rays, normal ultrasound (stool in colon only observation).

Use of anti-nausea agent "pherogen" resulted in relief of symptoms.

Visit to Gastroenterologist prompted upcoming CT Scan and Colonoscopy as no diagnosis could be established given previous results. Physician alluded to a difficult diagnosis due to symptoms.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:53 pm

User avatar Abdominal pain/nausea can be quite difficult to diagnose. Often, endoscopy and biopsies are necessary.

Possiblities include gastritis and reflux, recurrent pancreatitis, gallstones (these typically would be seen on ultrasound), food allergies (less likely given the periodicity), Acute intermittent porphyria, and irritable bowel disease.

These are the ones I can come up with right away but the list is quite a bit longer. Seeing a GI specialist is the right step.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us