Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain from thickened ligament along along left inguinal canal

 densky - Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:27 pm

I'm a 36 yr old male. Got a constant pain from a thickened limb/ligament (can't exactly identify) along my left inguinal canal. Been diagnosed in Jan07with colitis in the rectosigmoid area of colon and was prescribed with antibiotics (cipro & flagyl) for 2 weeks. The pain did not go away. Not sure if current pain is related to the colitis. But I can say the left pain is coming from this thickened ligament. My drs can't really say what it is. One say its a muscle, one says it must be just an inguinal ligament. They can't really say why it is painful. The ligament runs from near the side of my left bladder to my left hipbone where it disappears. I also have a pain near the right side of my bladder, in line with the left side where the left pain starts. The pain here does not extend to my right hipbone. I also have a constant mild pain on my left hip down to my left butt cheek. Sometimes my left leg gets mild pain also.

A regular CT scan in Jan07 also did not reveal anything. Is there a more definitive scan procedure to identify this part? Or maybe a mere ultrasound scan can do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:32 pm

User avatar I'm not able to help much regarding your pain; however, I would recommend that you see a sports medicine specialist. They are the specialists in muscle related issues.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us