Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Burning Pains/Ache, Gas Feeling, etc.

 louisjosephtripp - Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:31 pm

Hello, I am an 18 year old female. No current meds, no surgeries. No family history of abdominal problems that I know of.

I am having some strange pains in my mid-to-lower abdomen. They are burning sensations. They have started in the past several days and gotten more intense. I was scared it was pregnancy, but I got my period today and it's a normal period. But this does not feel like my normal period pain--it isn't. This started before my period and has continued. I have been feeling discomfort in my abdomen for about a week but it has not been feeling burning until recently. I also have lower back pain, which I usually have around this time of the month. No urinating problems. Sometimes it feels like I have gas. But the burning sensation is really strange and disturbing.
A couple of other things--I've been feeling kind of warm/feverish sometimes, and a little woozy.

I currently struggle with anxiety, depression, insomnia, OCD behavior and occasional stress.

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:39 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities off hand. You may have a urinary tract infection. While a little less likely, you may also be experiencing symptoms of endometriosis. You may also have a mild infection of the GI tract with a virus.

If your symptoms persist I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us