Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Cramping During Bowel Movement

miguy24 - Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:26 am

I have this condition for atleast 10 years. Every time I have a bowel movement i have the risk of getting a severe muscle cramp that last a couple of minutes. The muscle is located just north of my testicles. i can feel that it is a muscle and can voluntairly contract it, or atleast a muscle very close to the one im contracting. I can feel it locking up if im not carfeul when i go. Also, over the last year I have been expiernicing: frequent urges to urinate with little urine coming out.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 pm

User avatar I am not aware of any specific condition that would cause what you are describing. You may want to try some Kegel exercises to strengthen the muscles involved in urination/defication. This essentially involves repeatedly contracting and relaxing the muscles one would use to stop urination. (Do not do these exercises while urinating.) Start by doing a set of 10 contractions. Work up until you can do several sets daily. This may help.

Also, you may consider seeing a gastroenterologist or possibly a gastroentrological surgeon to discuss your symptoms to see if they have any possible treatments for you.