Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain under right rib

 arowland25 - Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:58 pm

Hello. I had my gallbladder taken out last year. I have since then had to stay on questran b/c of post-gallbladder bowel issues. Just recently I started having pain where the gallbladder was. Nothing else, just a lot of soreness.

Health history: I am a 28 year old female. About a month ago I was diagnosed with mitral & tricuspid valve regurgitation. I was diagnosed with endometriosis 6 years ago (have had 2 surgeries for this). Endometriosis was found on my bowel and was excised. My appendix has been taken out during one of those surgeries.


 Marceline F, RN - Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:48 am

User avatar Dear Mandy,
Endometriosis can be a tenacious disease, and can reoccur in different places in your body. You meet the profile from an age perspective, and from prior history. You did not mention if your doctor has you on any prophylactic treatments to control estrogen. There is a distinct possibiity that you have a reoccurrence of the endometriosis. There is also a possibility that you may have some adhesions after your cholecystectomy. The latter can also contribute to pain at the site. (You did not mention if you had it done laparoscopically or open surgical intervention.) Your team of medical professionals which I assume include your OB/GYN and a Gastroenterologist know what tests are needed to create a decision tree for treatment options. And I would absolutely keep your cardiologist in the information chain should additional surgery be the most appropriate choice of treatment.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us