Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: right side abdominal pain near belly button

 sixxnguns - Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:33 pm

I'm a 28 year old female, no abdominal surgeries, vegetarian. I've been tender to the right of my naval for a month now. I went to the ER thinking it was appendicitis they did a urinalysis and an xray and the dr said I was constipated so he sent me home with magnesium citrate and it did nothing to make me feel better. Went to my family dr two days later and he told me to take colace and Milk of magnesia for a week. During that week didn't feel so good so I went back to the ER and THAT dr did an xray, blood tests, and urinalisys. everything came out clear. So than I went back to my dr 4 days later and he put me on Miralax stil thinking I was constiptaed. Been taking it for about a month and I still don't feel better. My "sore spot" isn't as tender as it was a month ago but it still aches every once in awhile. I did get a cat scan yesterday, but now my whole abdomen feels bloated like I'm full of gas. And the spot is hurting now when I push to pee and poop....and I'm bleching alot lately....Im at a loss and so is my doc...
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 03, 2007 1:28 pm

User avatar Your CT scan results will likely be helpful. It may be that you have an inflamed lymph node in the area (called mesenteric adenitis). Mesenteric adenitis can be very tricky and more than one person has gone to the OR thinking they had appendicitis to subsequenly find only an inflamed lymph node.

Another possibility is a small area of inflamed colon due to a virus or other infection. Less likely would be inflammatory bowel disease. The CT scan often can show signs of all of these processes.

If your pain does not resolve you may want to see a GI specialist for an evaluation and possible endoscopy.

Best wishes.
 sixxnguns - Thu May 03, 2007 2:01 pm

everything came out cancer, kidneys are healthy, bowels looked good, no blockages, so I am off to a GI doctor...thanks for the reply :)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us