Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Constipation/severe diarrhea

 ksilvers0001 - Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:36 pm

I am a 23 year old female. I do not have any past diagnoses, and I have had several abdominal surgeries. In 2004, I had a C-Section, i had a 10 lb. 6 oz daughter. In January 2005, I had to have a laproscopy, a D&C, and a tubal pregnancy removal. I have had one miscarriage since then.
For the past year, I have had problems with constipation and then it suddenly turning to severe diarrhea. It only happened three or four times a year. Then for the past two months, it has been awful. I am constipated, and then right out of the blue, I am having bouts with severe diarrhea and severe cramping (on a scale of 1 to 10- about a 7 or 8). The diarrhea has made me entire bottom raw and bloody, and when this happens, I cannot even sit down. The diarrhea feels like it builds to maximum force, and I can barely make it to the restroom, and it hurts so bad when I do go to the restroom.
I have a high tolerance to pain, and this is killing me. The cramping almost reminds me of my tubal pregnancy, the pain is just in the wrong spot.
What is this, how can I try to make this better? It is causing a lot of disturbances in my daily routine..
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 05, 2007 5:12 pm

User avatar There is a possibility that you have an inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colits or Crohn's disease). I would recommend that you see a GI specialist.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us